- Introduction to web analytics: Tool configuration and practical example on our blog
- What are keywords and how to choose them properly using Keyword Planner
- Tracking traffic sources for analytics: Introducing UTM tags
- How to perform a simple web audit using PageSpeed Insights
- Alternatives to UTM: Do Shortened Links Bring New Possibilities?
- Website optimization basics: How to improve performance and loading speed
- Unlocking the Potential: How Google Analytics Can Optimize Your Affiliate Marketing Conversions
- Why is Link Building important for your website?
- Feedback Kickoff: Starting Gathering first readers opinion using our 3 example.
A well-positioned website must have well-developed link building, without it our website will not be successful in Google search engines. In this article you will learn how to build link building for your website.
Definition of Link Building
Let’s start with what link building is. As the name suggests – it is link building, or more precisely, acquiring links from other websites. This mainly involves our website address being placed on external websites. Link building is not only external links, but also internal linking on our website, I will write about it below.
External and internal links
Linking is divided into external and internal. External I have already explained a bit above, it is acquiring links from external sites. Internal linking, on the other hand, is linking between our subpages on the website. Internal linking is not only used for navigation on our website, but also important for the Google search engine, because it allows Google to know what subpages are connected to each other and refer to the same topic.
Why link building is important for SEO
If Google robots see that websites link to our website, they will consider it valuable and will be more likely to display us in higher positions. Nowadays, it’s not just the number of links that counts, as it used to be. Now an important aspect is what source they come from. It is best if the website linking to us is on a similar topic and is also a valuable website for Google.
Only valuable links
If links come to our website from low-quality websites, Google may treat it as spam and will not take them into account, what’s worse, Google may impose a penalty on us or remove us from the search engine and then rebuilding the image of our website may be difficult and time-consuming.
White Hat and Black Hat in Link Building
The only correct and recommended method of obtaining external links, below are some methods worth using:
- Creating valuable content: write valuable articles and people will start link to this article.
- Establish collaborations/partnerships: We can promote this way each other’s content and generate organic traffic.
- Publishing on guest blogs: this involves writing an article on owner’s website and place a link to our website there.
- Content co-creation: This is how I work, together with our partner SOWER with whom we create a series of articles, thanks to which we link to each other’s websites.
- Sharing on social media: By publishing on our media we can increase visibility and encourage sharing linking.
These are unfair practices that violate search engine policies. I do not recommend
using these methods because they lead to penalties or removal of the website
from the search engine. Here are some methods you shouldn’t use:
- Link spam: This is a link quantity method, it used to be possible somehow work, but now it doesn’t even work. Mainly it’s about massive placing links on poor-quality websites that do not relate to the topic our website.
- Link farming: Groups that arrange to exchange links with each other.
- Automatic link generation: These are automatic link generation tools generating a very large number of links in a short time.
- Links hidden in content: This is hiding links in the content so that they are not visible to the user, but to the robot.
- Links from spam directories: placing links in spam directories with no value.
Search engines such as Google are constantly working to detect bad practices, so even if we manage to use these methods now and avoid punishment, it does not guarantee that we will not be held accountable for it in the future.
In link building and elsewhere, the important principle is not quantity, but quality. Therefore, it takes time to build valuable external links, but it is worth it because they will finally bring satisfactory results to our website. If you don’t know each other, it’s worth familiarizing yourself with appropriate methods to avoid getting the opposite effect. Also, when choosing a company specializing in SEO, you should check and ask whether they want to take shortcuts and use black hat methods for an easy and quick result, which may end badly for our website.
Our Social Media
I encourage you to subscribe to us on your favorite social media platform to get updates on when we will publish new articles:
– Video: Odysee / Youtube
All social media links: Social Hub
This series is cross-published in SOWER Blog. It is created as non-paid cooperation as workload exchange. In this season, you can read half articles written by a Blogelist representative and the second half by SOWER.
The Polish version of this article is published in SOWER Blog here.